Saturday, September 5, 2015

Make Art That Sells Home Decor Course

I recently completed a new course offered by the Lilla Rogers Studio School designed for the Home Decor market called Creating Collections for Home Décor. It was team taught by top art agent Lilla Rogers & Margo Tantau the Creative Director @ Midwest-CBK.

The course was an intensive 5 weeks with one assignment per week using a different substrate to create a comprehensive home decor collection. For each assignment we were asked to create pieces featuring products made from metal, fabric, glass, ceramics and wood/MDF.


I have taken a few of the Make Art that Sells Courses and this course may have been my favorite. Below are the 5 collections that I created.






In creating these collections we were asked to choose a mood board made exclusively for the class as inspiration, in regards to color, texture, lushness etc. I chose the Field Flower board, mainly because I was attracted to the color palette selected for that board. 

As the course developed it became more apparent that the icongraphy overlapped with the previous weeks so that by the final week we had a varied yet cohesive collection.

Although the work load was intense I thoroughly enjoyed the class and was very pleased with the direction that my work took. I realized that I loved to draw and in creating work for this class, I was able to develop a digital painting technique that is probably the most aligned to my aesthetic and drawing style. That was one of the most exciting things that I took away from the class.

In the 5 short weeks, I learned so much about the home decor market and how to present my work and ideas. Thanks to both Lilla and Margo! And to the Facebook community of amazing and talented artists that make the class fun and dynamic and great place to share and learn!  



1 comment:

benilhalk said...

Amazing photographs and beautiful designs! Photographs for home decoration make the home lively and stylish. I hope I can find similar event venues as have to look for a venue and do arrangements for my son’s birthday.