Friday, September 5, 2014

Submitted



How nerve wracking and exciting at the same time, pressing the SUBMIT button for my round 2 entry to Lilla Rogers Global Talent Search. So many amazing artists and illustrators entered the competition this year and I feeling so thrilled to have made it into the top 50 out of 999 entries. 

I so loved the theme for both this round (which I can’t reveal at this time) and the first round which was "mini terrariums". I have always been intrigued by Secret Gardens, Private Little Worlds and the terrarium theme gave me a chance to visit that childhood intrigue. After researching terrarium jar shapes and materials, I decided that a lone mason jar would take center stage in a nocturnal setting with light hitting a lone orchid and ladybug inside and light reflecting on the outside of the jar would define that intrigue.  

The image was created in Photoshop from a sketch and painted using custom brushes.

This experience has been a wonderful, a wonder to me, just like my memory of the long, hot summer nights growing up in St. Louis MO, catching fireflies.

No comments: